My Club Crest


Loading the Calendar...
  • 2019-05-17
  • 2019-05-18
  • 2019-05-19
  • 2019-05-20

Course is currently Open

Open. No restrictions

15.06.2019 08:10

  • Club History

    bigpicFollowing an inspection of the area by Mr Robert Tait, professional golfer formerly of Musselburgh, the original nine hole course was created at Arnsbrae during the summer of 1891. It was Mr Tait's opinion that the turf was ideal for golf. The sandy sub-soil and consequent good drainage would allow golf to be played all year round.

    The Club formed on 8 July 1891 took the name "Alloa Golf Club". The first gentlemen members paid an annual subscription of One Guinea (£1.05).
    Within a year, putting greens had been laid and a greenkeeper, who also made and repaired golf clubs, had been employed.
    The clubhouse was built before the turn of the century and the club thrived as the game of golf became increasingly popular.
    By 1910, measures were needed to limit the play at certain times of the day for some categories of members.

    The land on which the course was built had been leased from the tenant of Arnsbrae, Mr A Gall, though the landowner was Mr James Younger (in whose memory the Braehead open is named)

    In 1923 Captain Younger requested that the club move from Arnsbrae and offered as an alternative, two fields to the west of the original course, along with the farmhouse at Braehead for the use as a pavilion.
    The new nine hole course was opened 16 October 1926, with the official opening taking place the following spring.

    Possibly due to difficulties of travelling to the new location, membership of the Club fell during the next few years. Following various meetings, a majority of members decided to move to Schawpark where a course was built during 1935-6.

    The members who remained formed Braehead Golf Club and when the land at Arnsbrae became available for golf again, the course was extended to its present eighteen hole layout.
    The District Council had by this time taken responsibility for the land.

    In 1979 the Club negotiated the purchase of the course and its surrounds, aided by generous loans from Clackmannan District Council, Central Region Council and the Scottish Sports Council.

    It is widely recognised that the variety of challenging holes, coupled with the many fine views which can be seen from various parts of the course, mean that Braehead always had the potential to be amongst the foremost clubs in the area.

    Recent improvements to the course have met with widespread approval, whilst phased developments have seen the off-course facilities change out of all recognition.